- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
Chocolate Banana Bundt Bread
A double batch loaf of chocolate banana bread in a bundt pan featuring an abundance of bananas and shaved Dove chocolates. Best of all, there's only about 10 minutes of prep and the batter can be mixed by hand!
- bananas - 7 (large & ripe)
- butter - 0.66 cups (unsalted & melted)
- flour - 3 cups
- coconut sugar - 1.25 cups
- baking powder - 1 tbsp
- kosher salt - 1 pinch
- vanilla extract - 1 large splash
- eggs - 2
- Dove milk chocolate - 5 squares
- Dove dark chocolate - 5 squares
- butter - 1 smidge (salted)
- Make sure you have a 15-cup bundt pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Grab a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Cube up the unsalted butter and melt in the microwave safe bowl.
- Grab a big-ass mixing bowl.
- Peel the big-ass bananas and mash the bejeezus out of them in the big-ass bowl.
- Mix the melted butter into the mashed bananas.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to the big-ass bowl and give everything a preliminary mix.
- Pour in a heavy-handed splash of vanilla extract.
- Make a little (sarlacc) pit in the middle of the mixture and crack in two eggs.
- Break up the yolks, pretend you're The Flash doing "hurricane arms," and mix everything vigorously.
- On a chopping board -- with a cleaver you can control -- carefully shave the Dove chocolate squares. Don't end up like Ponda Baba or the Wampa or Luke or Darth Vader or Zam Wessell or Anakin or Mace Windu. If you end up like Count Dooku at the beginning of Revenge of the Sith (but assumedly just prior to beheading), you've done something very wrong. If you end up like Anakin at the end of Revenge of the Sith, just ... wow. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go here.
- With two fully intact and functional arms, gently fold in the shaved chocolate until evenly distributed.
- Grease the bundt pan with with the salted butter.
- Transfer the mixture from the big-ass bowl to the greased bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and check with a long skinny wooden chopstick. If the chopstick comes out clean, you're Booster Gold-en. If not, stick it back in for another 5 minutes.
Banana bread disappears very quickly in my household, especially when there’s chocolate in it. So, I’ve taken to making double loaves in a bundt pan. I really like my Nordic Ware Platinum Collection Original 10- to 15-Cup bundt pan. It’s served me well … like a loyal Sith Apprentice who has yet to fully realize their dark side ambition of overtaking the power their master wields.
A few other notes:
- The chopstick test may not come out completely clean because I like to go heavy on the bananas.
- You can substitute regular sugar in for coconut sugar if you’d like.
- You could likely get away with using chocolate chips, but I like the shaved Dove chocolates because it’s a little more subtle and I’m fond of the way the chocolate “streaks” through the bread.
- I really like using salted butter to grease the bundt pan because it adds a little flavor and texture as I think it helps the outside get a little crusty.
- The photo I used is from a batch that used regular sugar because I was out of coconut sugar.
- The bananas from this batch were fairly big-ass, so I ended up having to bake for 60 minutes.